Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Idle Hour Ranch

This past month of October I started a new class in B term called Intro to Animal Sciences, the first two weeks we had some lectures and quizzes. Yesterday on the 4th of November, my class went on a field trip, well actually we all just met at the place. Our field trip took place at Idle Hour Ranch, there were so many fun things about this place, and by fun things I mean the animals. There were micromini pigs, singing dogs, a cougar, wolves, kangaroos, camels, birds, cattle, goats, a water buffalo, a zebra, elk, a yak, a fallow deer, and more that were inside already for the winter. I was pretty excited I love going to see and pet animals whenever given the opportunity. When we first entered the first animal we stopped to see was a baby kangaroo named Tiny. Mostly everyone got to take a "selfie" with the joey and even hold him. It was a pretty great experience and I won't forget it soon. After the baby kangaroo we went to see the adult kangaroos. The dad of the joey was pretty entertaining and kept standing up trying to show us how big and bad he was. The next animal we went to go see was a bird named Peaches. Peaches liked to put on shows for people and was encouraged when the crowed chanted, "Go Peaches, go Peaches!." We didn't get a show that day, most likely because it was a little cold and she didn't want to be outside. After visiting peaches we walked over to see the cougar and he was sleeping so we didn't get much of an appearance from him. There was a pull who kept charging at us from his pen and I thought it was cool but everyone else was a little skeptical of him. We then moved to the pasture and I got to pet a Texas Longhorn named charlotte. She was super sweet and loved the attention. I saw some goats butt heads and chase each other around in a "not so friendly way". After the pasture we went to see the camels and they were really cool. My group got to feed them hay and pet them. The last group of animals we visited were the wolves, singing dogs, and foxes. After we went to back to the beginning and I waited to leave because I had been blocked in by other students. Overall it was a great day except for the drive there and back on the highway.

No comments:

Post a Comment