Thursday, November 5, 2015

Wolf Creek Habitat

On the glorious day of October 18th 2015, my dreams were about to come true. I have dreamed about actually interacting with wolves for years but today it was finally going to happen. We took two cars, both of which were not mine. My boyfriend and I drove my mother's mustang, which I had never driven before and that itself was an exhilarating experience. It was a very fast car, and I enjoyed how smooth it drove. My mother and my step father took their other vehicle, which was a blue Silverado truck. After the long hour drive, and getting lost for 10 minutes we finally arrived at the Wolf Habitat. 30 dollars later and I was in the first wolf enclosure. It was unreal, these wolves were actually about the size of my dog but a little bit taller. But because they were not domesticated made this experience a little nerve racking. There were carcasses everywhere, mostly deer and elk. The sanctuary had 20 to 24 wolves and only about 7 were intractable because of the lack of human interaction they have had. The first enclosure had me a bit worried because the wolves weren't wanting to interact with us. But after the staff explained to us that most of them had grown their winter coats already and it was a warm day but to them it was scorching. After just literally watching them lay around for 10 minutes only getting to pet one of them. On to the next enclosure, I was hopeful these would be more interactive, however it wasn't all that I had hoped. Upon arriving in the enclosure we were told that we would not be able to interact with two of the three wolves because they were not used to humans like the third wolf was who was the other two wolves mother. They were allowed to come up to us but we could not reach out and pet them. We had learned that the alpha female had lost her brother the week before and she was mourning. Not even a few months before had she lost her mate. This poor female was just heart broken and you could tell by the way she was interacting with us. All of the sudden a big howl session started and it lasted for a whole 3 minutes. The whole habitat was full of howls and it was the most amazing experience to be in the enclosure with these wolves when the howling session was taking place. After the excitement, we moved on to the last enclosure with the babies, who were only about 2 years old. These wolves were very loving and just wanted to be constantly petted. I loved being able to cuddle with the wolves and love on them. You could just tell they were spoiled, they loved attention. We stayed in that enclosure for almost 30 minutes and every minute was amazing and unforgettable. We then went up onto the observation deck and saw the other enclosures we couldn't go into and there were so many wolves and it was amazing to see all of them. I saw at least 10 more wolves going up on the deck and even saw a wolf eating lunch. After we walked back down the stairs from the deck we went to the gift shop where I left with a shirt and very many lovely memories of the wolves I had met and I hope I get to go back again some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment